Pre-AP Math : Developing Mathematical Mindsets Through a Learner-Centered Classroom
In this workshop, participants examine the characteristics of an effective, collaborative mathematics classroom through the lens of the Pre-AP Algebra 1 Framework, instructional shifts and shared instructional principles. Teachers will actively engage in modeling focused on building a safe classroom environment where students access critical content through close observation and analysis, higher-order questioning and evidence-based writing, academic conversation, and mathematical argumentation. Participants will plan for the inclusion of observation and analysis, collaborative group structures, and higher-order questions that promote academic conversations, in their daily instruction.
- Build an understanding of the connections between a safe, collaborative, inquiry-focused mathematics classroom and the Pre-AP instructional shifts and shared principles.
- Develop an instructional plan to support the development of student mathematical mindset through the implementation of Pre-AP shared instructional principles.
Using Higher-Order Questioning to Support Contextualization in the Math Classroom
In this workshop, participants explore how the Pre-AP instructional principles of higher-order questioning and academic conversation support student ability to bridge concepts and representations in order to develop fluency through deep conceptual understanding. Through the modeling of purposeful tiered questioning and academic conversations, they will examine characteristics of questions that motivate student thinking and encourage productive lingering that promotes student access to rigorous content. Participants will create a plan to support students in grappling with and making sense of contextual problem situations by purposefully integrating higher order questioning and academic conversation opportunities into an upcoming lesson.
- Develop an understanding of how the Pre-AP instructional principles of higher order questioning and academic conversation support productive lingering, conceptual understanding, and fluency.
- Write higher order questions to support academic conversation and student mastery of critical content and create a plan for incorporation into daily instruction.
Pre-AP Math Content Seminar: Proportional Relationships and Linear Functions
In this workshop, participants will use the Pre-AP Algebra 1 Course Framework as a foundation for exploring the use of proportional relationships and multiple representations to build a clear, conceptual understanding of linearity. Participants will analyze college and career readiness standards to understand the progression of student understandings connecting proportional relationships with “slope as a rate of change” and “linear functions.” Participants will plan for the incorporation of multiple representations within units on proportional relationships while focusing on a big-picture understanding of linearity as a vehicle to address appropriate grade-level standards.
- Examine the Pre-AP Algebra 1 Course Framework to extend their understanding of linearity through the lens of proportional relationships and multiple representations.
- Create a plan for incorporating multiple representations into instruction for the purpose of supporting appropriate grade-level proportional reasoning standards.