Pre-AP Math: Developing Mathematical Mindsets Through a Learner-Centered Classroom
In this workshop, participants examine an effective, collaborative mathematics classroom through the Pre-AP Algebra 1 Framework, areas of focus, and shared instructional principles. Teachers build models that let students access critical content through close observation and analysis, higher-order questioning, evidence-based writing, academic conversation, and mathematical argumentation. Participants learn how to plan for and implement observation and analysis, collaborative group structures, and higher-order questions that promote academic conversations in their daily instruction.
- Explore connections between a safe, collaborative, inquiry-focused mathematics classroom and Pre-AP content areas of focus and shared instructional principles.
- Develop a plan that implements Pre-AP shared instructional principles to foster mathematical mindsets.
Using Higher-Order Questioning to Support Contextualization in the Math Classroom
The Pre-AP shared instructional principles of higher-order questioning and academic conversation let students bridge concepts and representations to develop deep conceptual understanding. Through modeling of tiered questioning and academic conversations, participants in this workshop examine questions that motivate student thinking and encourage productive lingering. Participants learn how such questioning t promotes student access to rigorous content. They then create a plan to get students to grapple with and make sense of contextual problems. Such a plan incorporates higher-order questioning and academic conversation into an upcoming lesson.
- Examine how Pre-AP instructional principles of higher-order questioning and academic conversation encourage productive lingering, conceptual understanding, and fluency.
- Write higher-order questions for academic conversation and student mastery of critical content.
- Create a plan to incorporate into daily instruction.
Pre-AP Math Content Seminar: Proportional Relationships and Linear Functions
In this workshop, participants use the Pre-AP Algebra 1 Course Framework as their foundation to explore proportional relationships and multiple representations for a clear, conceptual understanding of linearity. They analyze college and career readiness standards to learn how students connect proportional relationships with “slope as a rate of change” and “linear functions.”
- Examine the Pre-AP Algebra 1 Course Framework to more fully understand linearity through proportional relationships and multiple representations.
- Create a plan to incorporate multiple representations into instruction, so students achieve to appropriate grade-level reasoning standards.